Monday, June 27, 2011

LT week 5- Final Reflection

We have learned so much in the past 5 weeks, theorists and theories and applications and even physiology. It will all be relevant and helpful as we go into our teaching careers. I have also learned a lot about myself AS A LEARNER. I hope I will be able to apply these new insights to my own teaching in the future.

I now realize that I need time to assimilate and accommodate new information. I have a love of learning and a curiosity about most everything, so new information is welcome, but I find that I have not had as much time as I need to think about all I have been presented.  I'm sure in coming months and years I will understand the connections and implications much better than I do today.
I also note that it has been difficult for me when given a task to focus on only one aspect or response to a question, as I always have multiple responses and "angles". I'd like to think of that as balanced and open-minded, it may just be that I don't follow directions well.
It has been a source of frustration all session that I do not feel I have produced my "best possible" work, as there have been severe time constraints all along. I have met all the requirements and deadlines, but I am not totally happy with what I have done. I know I could do better, I would have LIKED very much to do better. "Good enough" is not an option I am comfortable with for my own work.

When I am teaching, I will try to gauge my students' comfort with their assignments to proactively address frustration and pressure. I want my students to learn, and I want them to enjoy the process and feel that they have participated and responded to their best abilities. If that means the assignments should be smaller in short time frames , or given later deadlines for larger projects, or having touchpoints to assess progress, then I hope I will do that.

One last T2P Blogpost-

If students are given enough time and resources to put in the effort they want to, they will learn successfully and feel good about their work, because they have some control over their learning process and have time to reflect and retain their new information. According to Piaget, learners need to assimilate or accommodate new information, connecting it to their existing knowledge framework. And Dan Pink believes learners are motivated to learn to achieve mastery over a subject that they feel is important.  A good teacher will give her students the opportunity to feel they have produced their best work and learned to their best ability in order to build their confidence and self esteem and feeling of competence. The positive emotional response they feel will encourage them to continue to learn and put forth full efforts as they progress in their education.

2 comments:

  1. Barb,

    I empathize with your frustration re: time constraints. For some folks, TCPCG is not a program that affords adequate time for reflection and living up to one's own performance standards.

    What it does to however, is come quite close to the types of constraints you will undoubtedly face as a classroom teacher. Therefore perhaps the practice you have/will receive during the program will serve you well in the future.

    Your final T2P here is great by the way!

    GNA

    ReplyDelete